Monday, June 18, 2007

Long Weekend

Thursday night's opening of Jerkology was just the beginning of my weekend. After the show, I came home and finished packing a small bag for my weekend adventures. You see, Dee bought me tickets to the Wilco show at the Murat Theater in Indianapolis for Friday night. Isn't she sweet? Yes, she is. Since my brother lives in Indianapolis, we also invited him and his girlfriend to join us. Dee and I made it to Indy just in time to pick up Drew and meet his girlfriend at the theater.

We had pretty good seats near the back on the floor and got settled about five minutes before Wilco took the stage. It had been almost two years since I had seen Wilco play live, so I was excited to see them again - especially since they had just put out a new album. The new album (Sky Blue Sky) is pretty mellow, so I didn't quite know what to expect. They opened with "A Shot In the Arm" from one of their earlier albums and I knew that they still liked to make a little noise. They played a few mellow-ish tunes and then steadily turned up the energy throughout the show until they were flat-out rocking during "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" and "Outtasite (Outta Mind)" in the second encore. They finished up an hour and a half long set with "California Stars" and said goodnight. They managed to play every song that I had hoped to hear and even a couple that I had forgotten that I wanted to hear until they started playing them. There was also a cool moment during one of their new songs, "Shake It Off" where the audience would shout "Hoo!" after each chorus line. After the song Jeff Tweedy said, "Hoo! Hey, Indianapolis, you just invented that." and laughed. After a short pause he said - in jest, "I don't like it." I was a great show and I was singing Wilco songs all weekend. In fact, I even made a playlist on my iPod from the setlist from the show.

After the show, we went to the Ram Brewery to get a late-night snack. That place is slowly becoming an Indianapolis tradition for me. The last two times I have been to Indy, I've eaten there. The last time was on Super Bowl Sunday. We then went back to Drew's girlfriend's house and crashed for the night.

On Saturday, my parents drove down to Indy to have dinner with the four of us and then Dee and I followed them back to Hartford City. Dee and I dropped our stuff at my parents' house and crossed the back yard to visit my grandparents. We sat with them for a while and talked about the current Shuttle mission and speculated on when my uncle might get to go into space. I learned that my uncle could have been to space a few times already, but that he's holding out until he can get a spot in the driver's seat. Good for him.

Sunday morning, Dee and I had breakfast with my parents and packed our things to head back to Chicago. We went directly to her parents' house for a BBQ for Father's Day. We got to visit with the family and eat a hot dog or two and then Dee and I started to crash. Dee and I were both so tired that we left before they broke out the sundae bar.

Once we got home, we unpacked, threw some laundry in the washer and took a short nap on the couch. We then spent the rest of the evening going over my lines for Jerkology so I can fill in for Aaron this Thursday. Afterwards, I watched Entourage while Dee dozed on my shoulder and then we called it a night. I had no trouble falling asleep - rare for a Sunday - and slept like a rock.

It was a good weekend, but one filled with lots of driving and a lot of unfamiliar beds. It was good to finally get home and rest my head on my own pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment