Monday, September 24, 2007

ND Weekends

The past two weeks have been busy for Dee and me. Two Saturday's ago we traveled to Ann Arbor, Michigan to see the Notre Dame-Michigan game. This past Saturday, we went to South Bend to see the Notre Dame-Michigan State game. It's been all Notre Dame all the time.

The trip to Ann Arbor did not turn out well as the Irish got whipped 38-0. Dee and I sat and took the lumps with the team. We stayed to the very end. We even stayed to listen to the band play the Alma Mater and the Fight Song after the game. Of course, the Michigan fans looked at us like we were crazy, but I guess they just don't understand what it's like to be part of the Notre Dame Family. You stand with them even when they struggle. Judging by the fact that every single Michigan fan around me bitched about every single call that Lloyd Carr made all game - even when they were gaining big yards and leading 31-0 - they have no idea what it means to stand behind your team. Anyway, I took some pictures of the debacle and surrounding ceremony.

With Dee's first Notre Dame game behind her, we again piled into the car to see a Notre Dame game this weekend. This time we were headed to South Bend. Dee had never seen the campus before so I was excited to show her around. We drove in on Friday night and crashed at my friend Brian's house. A fairly large group of my ND friends were in for the weekend and we had planned a tailgater. After briefly catching up with Brian and his wife, we hit the sack so that we could get and early start on the day.

Once we got our stuff together we headed over to the parking lot and got settled. I promptly took Dee on a tour of the campus, showing her my old dorms, the Administration Building (the Golden Dome), the Basilica and the Grotto. I managed to make my way into my old dorm and show her a picture of me and the rest of the first residents of O'Neill Hall. She laughed at my hair.

We headed back to the tailgater and got some lunch and a few beers. We still had plenty of time before game time so we hung out, drank and ate. You know, typical tailgate stuff. Once game time rolled around, Dee and I found our seats and got settled. I didn't give her much prep on the typical stadium traditions choosing to fill her in as things happened. The first half provided a little hope as the Irish went into the locker room only down three. However, the second half was ugly and the Irish eventually lost 31-14. I also took pictures of that trip.

Dee and I had fun both weekends - though not as much fun as we would have had the Irish won - but we are both very tired right now. I'm looking forward to sitting on my own couch to watch the ND-Purdue game this Saturday.

I don't have the time or energy right now to get into more depth on the season the Irish are having right now, but I will soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment