I’m distracted. I can’t focus. When my wife tells me about what we’re going to do this weekend, I just nod and pretend I’ve heard. It gets me in trouble. I get in trouble a lot this time of year. It’s not my fault. Notre Dame’s first football game is only 12 days away. The Colts play for the first time in twenty days. I’m like a kid at Christmas—if Christmas night lasted for two weeks. Football season is my favorite time of year and I can’t wait for it to get here.
I know you want to know why I’m so excited, so I’ll give you 10 reasons why I’m looking forward to this football season.
1) There’s nothing more hopelessly optimistic as a football fan during the pre-season. Your teams are undefeated and still have a legitimate shot at winning it all. That’s me right now.
2) Bob Sanders is back. The Colts’ star safety is healthy and back on the field to deliver the vicious hits that we’ve all been missing. You may not know it, but that’s what you’ve been missing.
3) I’ll be playing fantasy football for the first time ever. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be just like that TV show.
4) Brian Kelly. Notre Dame’s new coach. After three years of bad to mediocre football under Charlie Weis, I’m ready for something different. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Brian Kelly and the way he’s been preparing the team.
5) It’s so freaking hot right now. Once football season starts, things start to cool off and I’ll start to sweat less.
6) October 9th. Dee and I will be going to Notre Dame to see them play Pitt and we’ll be tailgating with some of my college buddies.
7) The three weeks starting November 21st. The Colts play the Patriots, Chargers and Cowboys back to back to back. A brutal stretch, but it will be fun to watch.
8) The fact that there are no weddings that will interfere with my ability to watch the Notre Dame games.
9) Beer. Football is a great excuse to have beer in the house.
10) It’s football! Do I really need to explain why I’m excited? It’s the greatest sport on Earth.