Since it seems to be the hot thing to do now, I thought I would add my two cents to the whole Chick-fil-A debate.
- Chick-fil-A is an independent corporation and they can do whatever they want with the profit they earn — so long as they are not breaking any laws. If we don’t like what they are doing with their money, we have the right to protest or organize a boycott. If other citizens happen to like what they do with their money, they are free to show their support. That’s exactly how free-speech works.
- I’m surprised that this is all happening right now. Chick-fil-A has been donating money to anti-gay causes for years. Once Dee and I found out, we quietly organized our own little boycott. We haven’t eaten at a Chick-fil-A in about four years.
- I actually think this current furor over Chick-fil-A may be detrimental to the gay rights cause. Chick-fil-A has now become a dividing point on the issue. Everyone now has a team to rally to. You’re either a Chick-fil-A supporter or you’re a Chick-fil-A detractor and the other side is just a bunch of stupid assholes. That’s not debate and it’s not going to do anything to move us forward.
- Why haven’t we stopped using the term “gay rights” and started using the term “human rights” in its place?
- I don’t have to agree with something to recognize that others have the right to do it. I disagree with everything the KKK stands for but I understand that they have the right to run around in white pajamas and dunce caps and say hateful things. I also have the right to make fun of their pajamas and dunce caps and completely dismiss their bigotry.
- This is a religious issue. Let’s not pretend that it isn’t. Religion is a man-made system of beliefs based on what humans interpret a divine being to have passed down. There are several versions of this and not a single one can prove the existence of their divine being. That doesn’t mean that some kind of divine being does not exist, but it puts a major dent in your ability to claim that your religion is The Truth. That means you don’t get to legislate your religion.
- If it’s not clear, I’m saying that all laws pertaining to marriage should be immediately amended to include homosexuals.
- Also, I’d like to see more posts about where I can go to donate money or time to pro-gay causes. That seems like the real opportunity here. Why haven’t I seen anyone trying to pass this information along?